12 October 2013

The Plum

When someone suffers from Selective Eating Disorder like myself, it’s really rare to feel more or less indifferent about a food.  The majority of my posts on Food Thoughtz have been one extreme or the other: I either really love something, or I really, really hate it.  But plums are something that I just don’t care about.  I neither love them nor hate them.  I will eat a plum if it’s given to me, but I would never seek one out on my own.  I don’t think the flavour is great, but nor is it necessarily bad.  They’re kind of pretty, but not beautiful.  And they’re an awkward size.  I guess no one cuts up a plum like they might cut up a peach, but they’re also not really big enough to bite into like you would an apple.  If I believed that God made the world and everything in it, I would assume that He made the plum during a period of boredom and laziness, and then woke up the next morning and never thought of it again.

Whenever I see someone eat a plum, I think that person must have no passion in their life.  How could anyone be passionate about a plum?  There’s really not much there.  The skin has that weird sort of waxy look to it and the inside kind of looks like sickly urine.  If I ever went on a blind date with someone and asked them what their favourite food is, and they responded with “plums,” that would be it.  How could you spend the rest of your life with someone like that?  I bet their favourite tv show is CSI.  Like even now, in 2013.
I wanted to find a picture of me looking particularly indifferent or uninterested, and it
turned out to be the easiest task ever. MM was in the picture so I replaced her face with a
plum cross-section, partly because when I started googling plums, they were all these
red plums with red insides and nothing like these purple plums that I am used to, and I didn't
want my comment about unhealthy and slushy urine to be irrelevant. 

This is just to say
I did not eat
the plums
that were in
the icebox

I don't really like them
and anyway, 
they are yours
and I respect your property

I hope
they are delicious
so sweet
and so cold

No comments:

Post a Comment